Sunshine and Smiles

Sunshine and Smiles

Monday, June 4, 2012

A Weekend Away with Friends...

Of all the special things in my life, my favorites involve friends and foreign territory. It is true pleasure, multiplied. When Emily sent an email saying she wanted to get our friends together for camping in Big Sur, I jumped at the chance. I love Big Sur. It is a place that captures the true essence of natural beauty, with ambient hues at sunset, and with the water glistening along the coast. It feels like a step back in time.

I have been reading a book called "Off the Road" by Carolyn Cassady, who was married to Neal Cassady (of The Merry Pranksters fame) in the 50's and 60's and was a sometime love of Jack Kerouac. Jack Kerouac wrote a lot of "On the Road" in San Francisco, but also would go down to a tiny little cabin in Big Sur and write in complete isolation. Caroyln and Neal used to come down and visit and roam around the beach with Jack and their friends who were all writers and drink wine by the fire. Sounds like heaven to me. I was pretty excited to finish the book just as we were leaving to head down. Being able to see all the spots that they talked about in the book was very cool.




My companions were my friends, sunshine, Redwood trees, and a million squirrels.I wanted to soak in every moment, and preserve the awe and joy that you feel while driving along the coast. It is such a spiritual place and full of such beautiful energy. The whimsy envelops you and feels so peaceful. We all laughed, narrowly escaped a little trouble, and lived happily amongst ethereal nature.







This trip was so memorable because I have just 4 short weeks before my move to San Diego. A little trip out of the city with my dear friends was wonderful. We were able to escape the sounds of the city and enjoy being together in such a special place. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment