Sunshine and Smiles

Sunshine and Smiles

Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekend in Big Sur...

D and I got home last night from camping in Big Sur which was one of the most magical, incredible places I have ever been. I usually am not a camper, but after settling in with no phones, and just getting back to basics I really loved it. It was so nice to just be with Dan, relaxing and being together with no interruptions.

We both took Friday off work and headed down the windy 1 to Big Sur. The drive is absolutely beautiful.I think I drove Dan crazy wanting to stop every 100 feet for pictures.











After stopping for lunch and having dance parties in the car, we arrived at Fernwood Resort in Big Sur and set out to explore our surroundings. We checked in in an actual old historic schoolhouse which I (of course) loved. We stayed right on the creek and it was such a nice, calm setting for the night. We built a fire, hung out inside of open redwood trees, drank some Happy Camper wine (a little gem I found!) and played Uno. (I won of course!)
For the first time in a VERY long time, I looked up and saw thousands of stars above. It was spectacular! That was one of my favorite parts of the trip.







Saturday morning we got up early and stopped for breakfast at this enchanting little hotel called Big Sur Inn. We ate in this tiny, dimly lit restaurant just as it was starting to rain outside. It felt as though we had stepped back in time and were in this little time trap of a restaurant. We then decided to go for a hike to the Pfeiffer waterfalls and set out. we hiked all the way up a huge hill and arrived at a beautiful waterfall.






When we were done we set down the coast to a tiny town called Lucia. Once you get south of Big Sur there isn't much but windy roads and beautiful ocean cliffs. We came back to our campround and sent up our tent, and got ourselves prepared for the night. Dan cooked us dinner over the fire, as I prepared cheese and wine and relaxed in the tent. Once we were full, we were exhausted and headed to bed early. I can easily see how without electricity you fall asleep at dark, and wake up with the sunrise. I was ready for bed each night by 8, no joke.









We woke up early next morning and cooked breakfast on the fire, and headed back north to stop at Point Lobos State Reserve which I have heard is the most beautiful park in all of California. And, after seeing it, I believe it too! It was so beautiful to walk along the rocks of the most stunningly beautiful water I have ever seen. I didn't even know it could be so blue and green!






All in all, as much as I fought camping, I actually really loved it. I loved disconnecting from the world and just enjoy my time with D. And although I will not cave in on the facts that I must have a shower and coffee first thing in the morning, I think sleeping in a tent (the ultimate fort) and it being perfectly acceptable to drink a beer at 8am is just awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment